Have you been injured in a trip or slip that wasn’t your fault?

It is justifiable to expect that any place you enter will be free of hazards and obstructions that could cause you a personal injury.

Companies must have policies and procedures in places to prevent their employees from sustaining an injury(s) from a trip or slip whilst working on their premises. Likewise, companies who have regular visits from the public such as supermarkets and restaurants must follow health and safety guidelines by law. Local councils are also obliged to have procedures in place to ensure roads and pavements are free of hazards that could cause harm.

If these policies are procedures are not followed, and an accident occurs, the injured party is entitled to make a claim for compensation. Our personal injury solicitors understand the distress that suffering a slip or trip accident can cause and we are completely dedicated to helping you claim the compensation that you rightly deserve.

So, if you have been injured in an accident that involved a trip or slip within the last three years and you want one local person to deal with your case, start your claim today by calling 01702 339222 for a free initial discussion.

Contact us
tripping and slipping accidents


I've just had an accident - what should I do?

If you have just sustained an injury(s) as a result of a trip or slip, then take pictures at the scene of the accident as soon as you possibly can. It’s always a good idea to include a landmark in your photos (a house, post box, bin etc) to prove the exact location where you sustained a body injury. Then get in touch with our personal injury solicitors who specialise in negligence claims for free advice. We will be able to tell you whether you have grounds for bringing a compensation claim forward. If we then believe that you are entitled to compensation, we will explain the claims process in detail, so you know what to expect.

How much compensation could I receive?

As with any personal injury compensation claim, including trips, slips and falls, the amount of compensation that is rewarded depends on your unique circumstances. Our specialist team of solicitors will also take into account if you have had to take time off work as a result of your accident and what expenses you have occurred since the accident took place. 

Can I claim for a trip or slip that happened at work?

Your employer has the legal duty to look after your wellbeing whilst you are at work. If you sustain an injury(s) whilst you are carrying out your duties at work because your employer has not met this legal requirement, then you might be able to claim compensation. It also doesn’t matter what injury you sustain, if you suffer a leg injury, knee injury or arm injury, and it was through the negligence of your employer; you have a right to start the claims process.

Can I claim for a trip or slip that happened in the street?

These cases can often involve people tripping over objects such as flag-stones, raised manhole covers and other uneven obstructions. These are particularly complex cases as councils have the legal duty to maintain roads and paths. If a local council can prove that they have a system of maintenance in place to avoid slip or trip injuries, then they might be able to avoid liability. 

How long will my personal injury claim take?

The amount of time it takes to resolve a personal injury claim can vary from case to case. For example, a straightforward accident where a victim sustained a couple of minor broken bones and someone was clearly at fault can be settled in just a couple of months, whereas a complicated case that involved a serious incident that resulted in a brain injury, spinal injury or other serious injury that was life-changing can take years. 

Will my claim go to court?

The majority of accident claims for slip and trips or falls are settled without the need to attend court. This means that there is a very small likelihood that you will be required to attend a court hearing. However, some serious injury claims have to go to court to be resolved because of their complexity. If your case does need to go to court, your specialist solicitor will be there for you and guide you throughout the process, so you know what to expect. 

What if there was a hazard and I wasn't looking?

If you were injured, it might not have been your fault, but it is possible that are you liable for sustaining the injury(s). For example, if you trip or slip in a shopping centre, but there was a hazard sign that highlighted that there were wet floors, there could be an argument that those in charge of the shopping centre took steps to prevent an accident from occurring. However, you are still entitled to make a no win no fee claim regardless. 

How long do I have to start a claim?

There is a 3 year time limit in which you can bring a personal injury compensation claim forward. If you suffer a slip or trip accident and don’t start your claim within the time limit, then you will have lost your right to claim for compensation. Some serious injury claims also take longer than others, so it’s important to start your claim as soon as you can. For example, if you have a suffered a spinal injury or head injury, then your claim could take years compared to a leg injury or arm injury. 

Can I make a claim on behalf of my child? 

Individuals that are under the age of 18 are not able to claim for slips, trips or falls as they lack the legal capacity that is required by law. Instead, a parent or guardian can file the claim for compensation on their behalf. This person is known as a “litigation friend”. They make decisions on behalf of the child and protect their rights throughout the negligence claims process. 

What are no win no fee agreements?

A no win no fee agreement (also known as a conditional fee agreement), is an arrangement between you and your solicitor. It means that if your personal injury claim is unsuccessful, then you won’t have to pay for their services. The majority of no win no fee agreements are offered for accident claims like slips, trips and fall injuries. With a no win no fee agreement, a solicitor will take out an insurance policy before starting the process to cover any costs that are incurred whilst working on a no win no fee claim. 

Can I claim if my partner or spouse suffered fatal injuries?

No matter what the circumstances are, losing a loved one is always traumatic. But, it can be even worse when they suffered from fatal injuries that were due to somebody else’s fault. While, no money can compensate for the loss of a partner or spouse, if they have passed away as a result of a fatal accident, then you can claim for compensation to ease the financial burden. 

What our clients say

To Johanne,

Before I came to you I was told I had no claim for medical negligence, so please accept these flowers as a token of my appreciation fro you bringing this matter to a successful conclusion.

I would not hesitate to use your firm again, or recommend you to anyone who asks me fora favourable solicitor.

Thank you.

- –

Very pleased with all of Johanne’s assistance. Worth the 75 mile round trip!

- Mr B, West Kingsdown

Thank you Ruth for your hard work and understanding.

- Mrs D Thomas, Benfleet

Johanne Turner – So helpful and understanding throughout. Good communication and & just excellent overall.

- Ms G Woods, Warrington

Johanne Turner was a very nice lady.

- Mrs H, Basildon

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to Ruth Hemmingway.

- Mr B, Southend-on-Sea

Johanne Turner

Personal Injury & Clinical Negligence | BTMK Solicitors

Amelia Ward

Personal Injury & Clinical Negligence | BTMK Solicitors

Ruth Hemingway

Personal Injury & Clinical Negligence | BTMK Solicitors

Nadine Adeyemi

Paralegal | BTMK Solicitors

Call for a free chat

Give us a call today for a FREE initial chat with one of our legal experts.

Get in touch