When a relationship breaks down, if arrangements for the children are agreed between the parents then no further action needs to be taken. If the parents cannot however agree on the arrangements, you can make an application to the court to determine who the child lives with and how much time they spend with the other parent.  The law relating to children can also be used for specific purposes such as:-

  1. Permission to take a child to live in a different country;
  2. Preventing the other parent from doing something such as relocating with the child- whether that be in this Country or not;
  3. Deciding on a specific issue such as where the child should go to school for example.

If you are an unmarried father and your name is not on your child’s birth certificate or the child was born before 1st December 2003 you do not automatically have the rights and obligations of a parent to make decisions for that child. This can, however, be changed in a number of ways, including if you have entered into a formal agreement with the child’s mother or by an Order of the Court granting you those rights.   Disagreements in relation to children, do not only apply to the parents, but can apply to Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles and other family members who are being prevented from having a relationship with the child.   We are able to assist in all matters relating to children, including preparing any necessary applications to Court and representing you at any Court hearings.

We can provide services to clients who may be eligible for legal aid.  If you believe you may be eligible for legal aid, we’ll assess your financial circumstance and let you know quickly if we can assist you with a legal aid application.

We also provide a full range of children-related advice and assistance to all families and individuals who may not be eligible for any form of public funding.  We have a highly experienced team that can act quickly and decisively in this challenging area of the law. Challenging for parents, for their lawyers and also for the Courts.  However we have the training and on-the-ground experience to assist with all of the following in the most difficult of circumstances:

We have specialists who can cover all of the areas above.  You may not know which category your particular issue falls into – call us – we’ll help to direct you to the right person.

Lee Wilcockson

Family & Matrimonial | BTMK Solicitors

Charlotte Fedarb

Family & Matrimonial, Childcare | BTMK Solicitors

Kylie Norris

Family & Matrimonial, Childcare | BTMK Solicitors

Chloe Pang

Family & Matrimonial, Childcare | BTMK Solicitors

Yvonne Hume

Family & Matrimonial, Childcare | BTMK Solicitors

Call for a free chat

Give us a call today for a FREE initial chat with one of our legal experts.

Get in touch