BTMK Solicitors are looking to recruit a motivated candidate to join us in our Personal Injury & Clinical Negligence department.
Job Title: Solicitor – Personal Injury & Clinical Negligence
Level of experience: All levels considered
Reporting to: Director & Head of Personal Injury & Clinical Negligence
Department: Litigation – Personal Injury & Clinical Negligence
The team is a busy one which deals with a whole range of personal injury and clinical negligence claims including claims in both the fast and multi track. Personal injury claims involve those arising from road traffic accidents, employer’s liability, public liability, accidents abroad, abuse claims and Applications made to the CICA. The team deal with all aspects of clinical negligence claims to include those involving GP’s, Hospitals, dentists and care homes
The role is a full time one involving the handling of a caseload of both personal injury and clinical negligence claims on behalf of Claimants in accordance with the relevant protocols and CPR. However, the candidate does not need to have experience in both areas; those with a background in either personal injury or clinical negligence alone will be considered.
It will be expected that the candidate will be able to independently run cases from the first meeting with the client through to dealing with the settlement of damages and costs reporting and being supervised by the Head of the Department.
The candidate should have a ‘client first’ approach and being able to work in a very busy but close team.
BTMK have a numbers of offices and flexible working hours will be considered.
Under the supervision of the Head of Team responsibilities will include:
- Excellent relationship and client handling skills to include being confident in dealing with clients in order to establish and maintain a relationship of trust
- Conducting cases with a commercial understanding
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise tasks but also the use of initiative
- Accepting instructions from new clients and advising them in writing in accordance with the practice requirements of the Law Society
- Considering, advising and arranging funding for claims
- Providing detailed, high quality specialist advice to the client throughout the case
- Undertaking all necessary preparation of the case including complying with pre-issue requirements to include (but not limited to) liaising with opponents, their representatives, ATE provider, investigating liability, obtaining expert medical (and non-medical evidence where required), instructing and liaising with Counsel where necessary, and preparing documents for Court where litigation is contemplated
- Throughout the course of the claim; drafting witness statements, instructing and liaising with expert witnesses, speaking and meeting with clients and drafting letters of advice
- At the conclusion of the claim dealing with costs in conjunction, where necessary, with costs draftsman. To include assessment of success fees pursuant to the funding arrangements but at all times consider commercial position.
In House Requirements
- Follow office policies and procedures as currently set out in the company’s office manual Complying with in- house billing and financial requirements
- Accurately record time
- Meet financial targets
- Managing accounts for each matter
- Engage with the team in terms of active business development to promote the company and the team, maintain the teams reputation and to drive new clients to the company
- Engage (where necessary) with business networking and attend events
- Engage in departmental meetings
- Maintain continuous professional development and keep up to date with developments within this area of law. Maintain a record of all training undertaken
Interest in this position should be directed to Lisa Smith, HR Manager. Lisa.smith@BTMK.co.uk. Closing date for applicants is 26th August 2022.