What To Do If You Are Involved In A Road Traffic Accident

No one expects to be involved in a road traffic accident, however they do happen and it’s important to know what to do if you have one.

Our personal injury team can help you if you have been injured in a road traffic accident. It doesn’t matter if you were the driver or a passenger, an adult or a child, in a car, on a bike or a pedestrian, if you were injured you may be able to make a claim.

If the claim is being made for a child, a responsible adult over the age of 18 must bring the claim on behalf of the child. If you are over the age of 18 you must bring a claim within 3 years of the date of the accident. If you were under 18 at the time of the accident you have three years from the date of your 18th birthday.

Having an accident can be a shocking experience and you may not know what to do at the time. You should make a note – or take a photo – of the other driver’s registration number, make and model. If it is safe to do so without causing disruption take photos of the position of the vehicles on the road before they are moved. You should ask for the other driver’s name, address and insurance details. If they tell you that they are driving a company car ask for their employer’s details as they may be driving under the employer’s insurance policy and not their own. If there are any witnesses ask for their contact details as they may be able to assist if there are issues about who is at fault for the accident.

If there are any injuries that need immediate attention call an ambulance, alternatively if your vehicle is drivable and no one requires immediate medical attention visit the local hospital or your GP.

If the other driver refuses to give you their insurance details or fails to stop you should contact the police as soon as possible. Refusal to provide insurance details following an accident is a criminal offence. If you have the vehicle registration number we can find out who the insurer is.

You should also report the accident to your insurer as soon as practicably possible. You do not have to use solicitors recommended by your insurance company. You have the right to instruct a solicitor of your choice.

If the other driver fails to stop and you do not have a vehicle registration number you may still be able to make a claim through the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) and we can assist you with this.

The MIB was established in 1946 to compensate the victims of negligent uninsured and untraced (hit and run) motorists. It is funded by a levy on every vehicle insurance policy (in other words, by everyone else who does pay their insurance).

We have created FREE glove box accident guide which can be used in the unfortunate event that you have an accident. The guide is simple to use and will help you obtain all the information you will need if you ever have an accident. A copy can be collected from any of our five offices. We can also post them out to you.

We offer a free initial consultation and work on a no-win no-fee basis. You can contact me Shefa or any member of the Personal Injury Team.  My direct dial number 01702 238508 or email [email protected]

You can contact our experienced team 24/7 on 03300 585 222. Call now for a FREE initial chat!

With offices in Southend, Leigh-on-Sea, Rayleigh and London, we’re local to you.

Call for a free chat

Give us a call today for a FREE initial chat with one of our legal experts.

Get in touch