The Solicitors Regulation Authority
The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) set the Principles and a Code of Conduct that those regulated by them have to abide by in order to provide legal services. They take an outcomes-focused, risk-based approach to regulation, to make sure that individuals and firms that they regulate operate independently and with integrity in the interests of their clients and in the wider public interest.
The SRA supervise firms and individuals who are regulated by them, and can take enforcement action against those caught breaching their Principles. They have a range of legal powers that enable them to take a variety of different actions according to the severity of the breach and the risk posed to the public and the profession. For example, they can
- issue a warning about future conduct
- impose a disciplinary sanction, such as a fine
- control how a firm or individual practises
- refer a firm or individual’s conduct to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal
- revoke recognition of a firm or refuse to renew recognition of a firm
- close a firm with immediate effect (they call this “intervention”).
They also make sure that those they regulate are qualified and insured to provide legal services, by
- setting qualification standards in England and Wales
- monitoring the performance of training organisations providing qualifications
- mentoring students who are training to become solicitors
- assessing the character and suitability of individuals we regulate
- administering the Roll of solicitors, and
- making sure that lawyers from overseas (RELs and RFLs) meet our standards of training, suitability, and English language requirements before they can register with us to practise as solicitors within England and Wales.
BTMK are proud to be accredited by the SRA and ensure that we follow the practises required to offer an honest and transparent service to all of our clients. As part of our regulation in the interest of pricing transparency, we have compiled a document detailing our fees – you can read about our fees here.
Call for a FREE chat
Give us a call today for a FREE initial chat with one of our legal experts.